I honestly have nothing to report. No new activity on the job front. In personal news, I went and got a fake spray-on tan that left my feet and hands orange. I got fake nails put on - the kind from the drugstore that you glue on. My right thumbnail is missing already.
Sunday was my pastor's last day at church. It was a highly emotional time. Charlie and I were asked, along with six other people, to share in church about the Osborns. I talked about watching Abby give birth to her third child. And then, when it was time for Tim and Abby to say their final farewell, Abby pointed a finger at me and said, "I thought we weren't going to talk about the Va-jay jay in church."
She said "Va-jay-jay". In front of the entire congregation.
Abby is awesome!
This is only one of the reasons why I am devastated that Tim and Abby have to leave our church. I love them so -- especially for being so honest and open; for never sugar-coating the truth; for being willing to tackle the "unknown" and "awkward" issues in church, church leadership, Christianity and beyond. Tim is the only pastor I have ever known to freely talk about homosexuality . His answer was never, "It's totally wrong, let's go hang the homos," but, simply, "I don't know."
His tears speak volumes to me - that his heart is, indeed, in the right place. Tim is a good man. Tim is one of the best men I have ever known in my life. Abby is an amazing mother to three boys, and an incredibly supportive wife. Not "supportive" in the sense that she has given up her dreams, or has lost herself to her duties as a wife and mother, but simply that she is so damn good at being herself that all of the other roles fit her perfectly. She can make an ice cream cake from scratch whilst pouring me a pomegranate margarita. She can birth a nine-pound baby from her va-jay-jay without drugs, all the while asking for a glass of champagne. I love her so.
I am going to miss Tim and Abby terribly. I will miss our small group. I will miss going over to their house after Sunday night service just to simply hang out or watch TV. I know that they will thrive; I know they will be blessed and be a blessing wherever they go, but, selfishly, I want them all to myself.
3 comments:
Leslie,
So sorry your heart is aching right now. I've never been a huge fan of change and it seems even harder when you really don't want it to come. Hopefully you can keep your close relationship with them, no matter where they go. They sound like great, balanced people.
loving you a lot today,
aim
It's so good to have people in our lives that we respect, and then to see them go away is crap. I know you'll keep in touch with them, it's in your blood.
Thanks, my dear friends. I love you guys. Warm fuzzies!
Post a Comment