Monday, May 7, 2007

A Reason for Everything

Little did I know last week, while I was whining about not going to New York, I was supposed to be around on Sunday.

It's a long story, but my dear friend and pastor got fired from his job last week. He and his wife announced it our "Pop Jesus" (as my dad would call it) service on Sunday evening. I had been asked to sing in the service, which I am always happy to do when I have a chance.

Had I gone to New York, I would've missed it. I'm so glad I was there, because they really needed our support.

Yay for being able to be there.
Yay for not focusing on myself for once.

Boo for my friend getting fired for asinine reasons. I am so bloody sick of conservative church leadership.

5 comments:

Amy said...

Anybody want to church plant?

Leslie said...

Damn you, Baby Boomers!

amber. said...

My good friend, Bob, who was the chaplain at the (conservative, close-minded, plank-in-their-eyes) Christian college that I attended was fired for (dramatic pause) teaching grace too much.

I'll say it again.

Teaching. Grace. Too. Much.

I don't know, but I think the gospel of Jesus Christ was pretty much grace, all of the time.

Sorry to your friend: glad you were there to lend your support. How synchronous!

Amber.

Leslie said...

Amy: Yes!

Mom: I don't know what church you're going to, but I would hate it, too. You should try mine before my pastor has to leave.

Amber: You are so right on. Jesus was all about grace. Hmmm...let's see...he died for us????!!!!!
You are awesome and I would love to meet you, by the way. :)

Melissavina said...

I hide my baptismal behind a shower curtain... and a bushel.

But seriously folks:
I think quitting church has done more for my spirituality and genuine faith than anything. I recommend giving it a shot. I may go back some day, but I think my community of friends and family are more of a healthy church than any building I could visit once a week.

Just my thoughts.