Today I taught a piano lesson to a six-year old little girl.
Near the end of the lesson, I was feeling proud and jubilant. I really like this little girl. She's funny, honest and very cute. After praising her efforts at the piano, I said, "When I grow up, I want to have a little girl like you."
"But you're already grown up," she protested.
I laughed.
"And why aren't you pregnant?" she continued.
I laughed again, harder. Her mom entered the room, having overhead the conversation, and we smiled at each other, knowingly.
She continued, "How do you get pregnant, anyway?"
Gack!
"Well," I replied, stifling giggles, "If you keep practicing your piano, I'll tell you. Next week we'll work on a new song called, 'The Birds and the Bees'."
"Okay!" She chirped. Mom howled.
I stood from my chair and she got to her knees on the piano bench, facing me. Her eyes were level with my waistline.
"You know," she said, staring at my stomach, "You already look pregnant, so you might as well be."
Yup. Just what I needed.
8 comments:
Sorry les! Obviously you don't look preggers! I had to have that talk with Kaitlyn, how we NEVER ask if someone is pregnant. I love you !
jiggle meter!
Precocious little punk!
Mother M, aka Me-Shelle
I would be tempted to say something like "You look like a little bitch, so you might as well be."
But then again I don't work with children.
Reminds me of my students in Taiwan. "Teacher, you are a little bit fat and you have a big nose." It was confusing for them when I didn't praise their perfect sentence structure.
Oh that's funny. And Melissavina's comment made me giggle too. If only we could say what we wanted to children...
So.....have you spent the last 18 days trying to get pregnant??? Where are you???
I'm with Melissa on this one. I would have bitch slapped her.
Well, in my imagination I would have. But what I really would have done is laughed nervously, ruminated on the comment for a few days, tried to diet for a few more, give up with a tub of peanut butter cup icecream, and wear sweat pants for the rest of my life.
Post a Comment