I have been in New York for two weeks now. Life is busy with rehearsals and attending the show (especially on two-show days). I am quickly learning how easy it is to spend an exorbitant amount of money on food. It's just THAT much more expensive here, so your average sandwich between shows costs $9.00 instead of $4.00. Boo.
I am living in a cute little brownstone apartment in Astoria with two other girls. They are absolutely wonderful. One of girls, Sharon, did "Damn Yankees" with me in 2000 when she was FOURTEEN. Yeah, that's awesome. I am old. But, it's funny what a small world it is.
My bedroom is the smallest, which is fine by me, meaning I am paying the least. The tricky part was to get the room furnished. My mom ended up finding me a free bed on Craigslist, and the owner lives seven blocks away. Apparently there is a big bedbug problem in NYC, so I had to make sure that I wasn't getting a bedbug bed, but it's all good. I ended up having to pay movers $100.00 to go get the full size bed and deliver it. I figure it was easier than hauling it seven blocks on foot, in the rain.
I'm in the process of painting my room a dark purple. I am hoping the color choice was not a mistake, but since I am all about the free stuff right now, I was happy to have received the paint for free. I have used a half gallon so far and actually have to go back and buy more. That will be a journey, seeing as I have to go to Harlem to the actual hardware store where the paint was originally purchased, because it is a custom-made color. It will be an adventure!
I have a week of performances coming up very shortly: this Friday, March 6th, through next Friday, March 13th. Beth Malone, the lovely actress who has originated the role of "Betty Jean" off-Broadway, is going on vacation. I am also going on for her in April, when she takes another week off. Yay for vacations!
It is weird to be away from Charlie. At first it just felt like I was on tour, but when I am on tour I am not living in an apartment and taking a train to work everyday. Sometimes it's daunting to think about how long we will be apart, but then God is so good. Our friends Jeff and Sam(antha) Zabel offered to buy Charlie a round trip plane ticket to come visit me starting March 15th. Of course our pride says "NO!" but we happily accepted the offer since maintaining two households is proving to be slightly difficult. I know it will work out; I KNOW that I am supposed to be here, and, at the risk of sounding Christian-ese and/or cliche, I am constantly re-affirmed. God is making Himself really known to me here in New York. Sometimes I can't imagine how people live here without work - especially actors. The weather is HARSH, the people are impatient (at times) and it is crowded and fast-paced. I wish the overwhelming smell of man pee wasn't so prevalent. A word on that: you KNOW when you smell urine that it is ALWAYS men who are peeing. Girls don't just squat in the corner of the subway station! I want man pee gone, especially the smell. The only thing worse is cat pee!
I digress.
I am watching snowflakes fall out my window and grateful for my free, comfortable bed and my warm apartment. I cannot wait until I get to perform; until I get this show back into my body and onstage. I can't believe that I am performing OFF-BROADWAY...it's one small foot in the door to my dream! I have NO idea what the next six months hold for me. I secretly hope it's not just six months of covering "Wonderettes" -- whereas I am very grateful for this job, I want to get to know people and audition for other things! I truly, selfishly hope something big happens...this may be my only shot at New York and I want to take every opportunity!
I leave you with a glowing article. NO, it was not written by me. It actually makes me laugh; I do not officially have a role in this show - I am just a cover. I have given up vanity for lent, but it's Sunday, so I'll indulge a little. :)
1 comment:
bloggity blog blog! why haven't you blogged in a while?
Post a Comment