Thursday, February 12, 2009

Start Spreadin' the News...

..I'm leaving TOMORROW...

That's right, folks, I'm headed to the Big Apple. To make a long story short, I accepted a six-month contract to perform in "The Marvelous Wonderettes" (yes, AGAIN) as an understudy (yes, AGAIN). My initial reaction when presented the offer was, "No way, I'm not covering that show again", but after much thought and deliberation and some prayer, I realized that an amazing opportunity has presented itself and I must seize the day, as they say.

My dream is to be on Broadway. This is a show that is a huge success OFF-Broadway. It's one step closer to that dream, it's one foot in the door...

It's scary as hell. I returned from a 16-day tour of Japan with Brian Setzer on Sunday, and I'm packing and leaving on the red eye tomorrow. It's insane, I am a bit of an emotional mess (not to mention I've been sick with SARS/the Japanese Bird Flu this week). Obviously the hardest part is leaving Charlie at home. He will come visit me as much as he can, we are going to make this work. My mother is nagging me and telling me she's sad I'm going, blah, blah, but so far, she's the only one who doesn't think I should do this. And, of course, she's my mother. I don't think mothers are too keen on change.

I already have a week of performance dates lined up in March, so I'm excited about that. The day before I left for Japan, Charlie and I prayed that I would be able to find a place to live for a reasonable price: about $500 or so a month. THAT VERY SAME DAY, I found a room in Astoria to rent from a girlfriend of my friend. It will be $550 a month. Sure, it's tiny, but my lovely friend Andrea (BRAVO's Top Design!) is going all out and designing it for me so it will be comfy and a place to call my own.

I can't believe it's all happening...

The best part is that Charlie is flying to New York with me tomorrow night. We've never been to the City together, and we will be able to spend Valentine's Day there, together. He'll help me lug my suitcases to my new place...it's all surreal...

Please pray for me/us as this new adventure begins.

4 comments:

Debutante said...

Soooooo, excited for you!!! That sounds like a really great opportunity.

I can't imagine how difficult it must be to leave Charlie behind, but you GET TO LIVE IN NY FOR 6 MONTHS!!!!

I'll be in NY around May 28, so if you could make sure someone is ill that week so I can see you perform, that would be great (ha)!

-Deb

katie b. said...

Yeah for you, Leslie! Boo for me. I'll miss not seeing you at Jequila hang-outs. So excited for this opportunity that you've been given. I'm praying that it leads to MANY more.

Loves.

Nattles said...

I'm so excited! So happy for you and will keep you in my prayers :) I hope to see you perform in March :) :) You are phenomenal. And really? SARS???!

Kellyry said...

So exciting! Yes, not precisely your dream job, but one step closer. Enjoy NYC!