I ended up going on for one of the girls in "The All Night Strut" last Saturday. I stood in for the "soul sister" in the show - which is hilarious since some of the lyrics include "Honey child, do I look like I care?", and "Child, what is wrong with your leg?" The track also includes two gospel songs. Holla.
As I pulled into the Welk Resort I noticed a rather large group of very sophisticated African American elderly folk strolling the campus. I immediately panicked. Of all the days for the majority of the audience to be black, this was not the day for me to be a fraud!!
All in all, it was what it was, and I am glad I got to perform. It was actually a lot of fun! I made mistakes but laughed at myself and, well, made a little extra money that day. Whoopee.
The show closes next Sunday and I've got a staged reading and an audition coming up. In the meantime I'm trying to finish the bathroom (ohh, the bathroom that has taken a year and a half to remodel!) and cover up some ugly brown trim I painted in the guest bedroom. I stupidly started painting over it last week with the wrong green paint. Charlie and I went to three different home improvement stores in the area and gathered
absolutely every single green paint swatch that we could find. I finally narrowed it down to "Avocado Heather" and prayed it would work. Charlie went and got the paint at Osh and I started in on the project today. As I kept painting, I noticed that it looked a bit "greasy". I wasn't sure if it were the right color or not until I finally realized that that "greasy" look was because Charlie had bought a semi-gloss finish instead of flat!
Bleghhhhlalallallalalaalaa!
Furthermore, I do not like painting ceilings or edges. I always glop paint all over the ceiling and it makes me nuts! I don't have the patience to endure the delicate process it takes to NOT make a mistake. But I'm also too cheap to hire a professional to paint for me, so it's kind of a lose-lose situation.
In conclusion: I am now an expert in being soulful and deciphering between a flat and semigloss finish. Thank you and goodnight.
2 comments:
Ugh, painting. I always think it would be fun to change the colors of the walls, but then I think about all the work...yuck! I hope it all works out for you. I'm sure it will turn out nice. "Avocado Heather" sounds pretty and yummy! Love ya Leslie!
Matt and I had to paint the entire condo before moving in (because as you saw in the photos, the previous owners taste was atrocious). At the end of two days of painting walls and ceilings and everything else, I decided that manual labor does not suit me at all.
We didn't paint any of the trim because it was already white (so the only color in the place that wasn't a nightmare). But Matt did decide to do a little touch up on the glossy white built-ins with the flat white paint from the ceiling. Perfect. At least now we have a project for another weekend. HA.
Anyway, I feel your pain--painting sucks.
Post a Comment