Thursday, April 17, 2008

Not Worth It

The show has been open a week today, and thank the good Lord that I haven't had to perform yet. I find myself checking off each performance on the show calendar. So far, nine down and 37 to go. I had to drive down to Escondido yesterday (!!!!) for an understudy rehearsal and it was just ONE OF THOSE DAYS. First, I met my friend Lowe at Disneyland. She was taking care of our friend, Julie's 10-year old daughter (whom you can watch on Fox's "Back to You" on Wednesday nights!). We were going to get in for free at 10:00 a.m. but the girl who was supposed to let us in never showed up. An hour and a half and twenty phone calls later, we finally found a friend that was, indeed, working that day and willing to sign us in. So, a late start to our quick Disneyland day put me on the road to Escondido at 3:00 p.m. (with a 4:00 p.m. rehearsal!) OOPS.

The condensed version goes something like this: I went crazy nuts. Stress, traffic, losing my cell phone after a pit stop only to find it wedged between the passenger seat and the passenger door (because I made a "IhavetopeerightnoworI'llburst" U-turn into the Chick Filet parking lot. Who pees at Chick Filet?) After finding my cell phone it decided to not give me service for twenty minutes. I took the wrong exit, blah, blah, blah - I finally made it to the theatre FORTY MINUTES LATE. Ugh.



All in all, the rehearsal was only an hour and a half. And, really, come on - what's the point? FOUR HOURS' drive time for a 1.5 hour rehearsal? No, thanks.

So I've decided firmly, once and for all: NO MORE UNDERSTUDYING. It's NOT WORTH IT. ONLY, unless, of course, it's Broadway or a national tour or the equivalent. I'll understudy Elphaba in "Wicked" any day.

And, even after all of this - I am definitely happy to have been working. Now it's time for a break. I feel like going to Maui.

2 comments:

The Wallers said...

Ha ha ha! I hate those days! Will let you know when the kiddo pops!

amber. said...

I know some guys who could "take care" of this leading lady situation for you... if you know what I mean.