Monday, October 8, 2007

Preparing for Winter

I keep trying to come up with something fun and witty to blog about, but there honestly isn't anything happening that is everywhere, like, such as.

"Marvelous Wonderettes" is so much fun. Since my "debut" three weeks ago, I've gone on every weekend since. I love doing the show. It's totally addicting, and I'm hoping that I will get to do a solid run of it before leaving on tour. There is much to be done before leaving, as well, and one of the things I cannot wrap my mind around is how cold it is going to be in November and December back East. Last year, (thank you, global warming!) we had an "unusually warm winter". The coldest I experienced was in Nashville, Tennessee, where it was 18 degrees and snowing. 18 degrees is COLD. 50 degrees is cold. Heck, 60 degrees is sometimes even too cold. But 18? Yikes.

I dislike packing, period. My Autism Partnership comes out and I can't rest until everything is in order. I also will, no doubt, procrastinate packing until the very last second, wherein I will forget something important. When you're packing for Hawaii, all you need is a bathing suit. When you're packing for a tour-de-coldestcitiesinAmerica, you need a mini mall in your luggage.

Last year I brought THREE suitcases. That got a big laugh from the other band members, who were able to stuff their winter wardrobe into carry-on sized luggage. (But hey! I'm a GIRL!) I quickly learned to downsize and managed to get it into two suitcases. Still...this is seven weeks on the road. In the winter. In the SNOW. In COATS and BOOTS and all that layering that we Southern Californians don't ever have to think about. "Layering" is a term we use at the salon.

I am so thankful I live in California, but there are times I feel really wimpy for not knowing what it's like to shovel a driveway, scrape ice off my windshield or experience "seasons". So, going on the road is definitely an adventure in that I get to experience these foreign weather patterns. "Winter" is a real thing, not just something we see in movies.

Bitter lessons I have learned and am going to have to learn all over again:
-My cute little black ballet flats look adorable with jeans, but do not protect from frostbite.
-Uggs always look ridiculous in California but are absolutely necessary anywhere else, especially in Aurora, Illinois.
-Jeans are not comfortable when wet. Especially in 22 degree weather.
-Sometimes it's beneficial to invest in a snowsuit.
-When combined with the word, "jacket", WOOL is just the same as LIFE.
-Sleet, slush and snowstorms actually exist.
-Attempting to look fashionable usually results in said outfit being covered up in jacket, scarf, boots, gloves, hat and wind chill factor.
-Just because it's snowing doesn't mean you should go out and play in it.
-The only place people get excited/emotional over artificial snow is at Disneyland.
-Did I mention wool? You need it everywhere. Fingers, toes, ears, head...heck, get wool underpants if you can.
-Informing everyone that it's 80 degrees and sunny back home does not make you many new friends.
-Returning to that 80-degree weather on December 24th makes you wish for a White Christmas.

3 comments:

Leslie said...

Thank you, mother, for clicking on the link and realizing the joke.

Carolyn said...

HAHA!

Leslie said...

Wow, do I have to do this? CLICK ON THE LINK. CLICK IT. CLICK "AUTISM PARTNERSHIP". THEN LOOK WHAT COMES UP. HA HA HA HA HA IT'S FUNNY ONLY WHEN IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE POINTED OUT.
I'm PMSing, can you tell?
Damnit.