Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Cleaning Things

I can't believe I'm blogging two days in a row.

For one, I have to be honest and tell you, oh, faithful readers (yes, all four of you) that I am NOT running the half marathon this weekend. I have mixed feelings - one: relief, two: I'm a total failure. I could blame it on my running partner, who actually got injured three weeks ago and hasn't been able to run since. But it's also a combination of busyness, scheduling and the fact that, honestly, I don't know if I could have really done it. I was only up to six miles. A half marathon is TWICE that. I am determined, however, to do it someday..there is a real feeling of accomplishment when you take on something that you loathe (ha ha). I am actually looking forward to half marathons in the future, because I am not a quitter. Plus, I'm starting a triathlon club at my YMCA and we're going to do triathlons. So I think that will make up for the 13.2 miles -- or, rather, lack thereof.

Charlie just walked by and asked if I was blogging about him "not cleaning things". I think I now have a great idea for a new blog. He is going to blog about me "being mean". We will win awards, I tell you!

And now, here is a rundown of my boring, personal life.

1. Our bathroom is almost done. Eight months later, our 10-square foot bathroom is almost complete. Yesterday Jose came and sanded the walls, leaving a film of white dust all over the house. I just love cleaning that up. (So does Charlie - "not cleaning things"). He also primered the new walls. When you go in to use the toilet you end up getting high from the paint fumes because the bathroom is so small. Small pleasures.

2. My neighbors are putting in a new deck in their backyard and think it's a good idea to hammer and saw the wood at 7:00 a.m. every morning. I don't think it's a good idea.

3. I lost my bank card AT THE BANK last week. The machine took it and never gave it back. I've been without a Visa card for six days, but, honestly, it doesn't much matter because I only have $200.00 in my checking account (and that, I borrowed from my mom!) It frustrates me that I have so little money because I honestly need to buy winter clothing for tour. Oh, and, you know, pay the mortgage.

4. Charlie is now "cleaning things". I nagged him senseless so he is doing it out of obligation. He would rather be outside, writing, or surfing. Wouldn't anyone rather be doing ANYTHING other than cleaning?

5. I am on a new diet that is supposed to make me skinny. So far, I have gained 1.5 pounds. I have decided that this new diet is more about me changing my eating habits rather than focusing on a "get skinny quick" regime. I suppose that if I kept up the running I would be thinner, but, you know what? I don't much care anymore. It's more about being healthy, and I am that. I hope.

6. I have an audition Thursday for a new musical at the Kirk Douglas Theatre. I am excited about it.

7. I think I have learned (and re-learned) a valuable lesson this week. I have a tendency to compare myself to others. I think that all actors do that, to a slight degree. Right now I'm just not getting where I want to be in my career. However, I do know that it is not I who is in charge of these things. I have always held to my ethic that hard work pays off. I know someday it will. I also need to remember that God has a plan for me, and it will play out in His time. That sounds cheesy and sometimes it frustrates me because I want to see immediate results (detect a pattern here?), but I don't know what else to hold onto sometimes.

And now, I am going to go finish "cleaning things".

4 comments:

Carolyn said...

You forgot to talk about the animals!
Putney, Chester, Wimbley, that little black dog, Izzy, Sculley and the chickens will be sad that you didn't mention them.

Leslie said...

I didn't forget to talk about them. I don't want to talk about them. They are irrelevant. :)

Melissavina said...

Well, I got Iggie to clean all day yesterday. We hit that damned apartment from top to bottom... now it's sparkling. The tip is loud music selected toward what makes him happy, and an occasional dance fest in the middle of the living room. Note: he may not dance, but if you do, it will boost cleaning time.

Also caffeinated alcoholic beverages keep things moving.

I swear, all of this was done yesterday and we finished the whole place!!

Melissavina said...

Oh, and a big, big thank you when you're done. That helps for the next time...

I realized that when I was done thanking Iggie yesterday... he said he'd be happy to help again in the future.