
Last night I attended my weekly Actors Co-Op meeting. I love my theatre company. We were all working in the office, stuffing and sealing envelopes, and making phone calls to past subscribers to remind them to renew their subscription for our exciting, upcoming season!
I am usually hesitant about making such phone calls, because, truly, I don't want to bother anyone. I also do not like the rejection that almost always accompanies said phone calls. I was hopeful, however, and also confident in the product that I was selling.
First phone call went something like this:
Ring, ring.
Woman answers: "Hello"?
Me: "Hello, may I please speak to Rachel?"
Brief pause. "Who is calling, please?"
Me, slightly overexuberant:"Oh, my name is Leslie and I'm calling from the Actors Co-Op Theatre Company in Hollywood!"
Longer pause. "Um, Rachel passed away."
Me: "OHHHHHH. I am SO sorry! Wow. I had no idea...I am so sorry."
Pause.
"Yeah, she had cancer. It was a blessing, actually. She really loved the Co-Op."
Me: "Oh, well, I'm so glad to hear that!"
Pause.
"Yeah, we really miss her."
Pause.
Longer, more awkward pause.
"Well, would YOU be interested in subscribing to the Co-Op?"
2 comments:
OH MY GOSH LESLIE! How horrible! Like when my parents got a packet in the mail from the Army-for Scott! That's when my mother started the phrase, "They don't just want a few good men, they also want DEAD men." It was a good laugh for us! Hope you weren't too scarred by the experience!
You're sick.
And awesome at the same time.
Post a Comment