Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Month Three

It's time for an update!

I enjoyed a two-week run as Betty Jean during Spring Break, and my mom was able to come out and see me perform (twice, actually!) It was great to have her out here, not to mention have her see New York in 2009. Her last experience in NYC was not a good one...back in the '80s when, as a family, we drove across the country in our Chevy Caprice Classic. I remember something about a homeless man trying to wash the windshield, and some stripped cars on the freeway...but, New York has changed a lot since then. We had fun, complete with dancing at the Whisky in Times Square.

From left to right: Misty Cotton (Missy), Victoria Matlock (Cindy Lou), Bets Malone (Suzy) and me (Betty Jean).

My BFF Joy was also in town during spring break, with her neighbors, Chatelaine and Jay, and her boyfriend, Micah. On Thursday, April 9, Micah proposed to her in Central Park and they are ENGAGED to be married in September! I am beyond thrilled for Joy...it's been a LONG time coming and she couldn't have been more surprised. I'm also so happy that I was able to be a part of the engagement. It was perfect timing...God certainly knows what He is doing.

The happy couple celebrated with us at the Tavern on the Green in Central Park. Micah took Joy on a carriage ride around the park, with roses and champagne. She was blissfully unaware of what was coming next....
GORGEOUS ring! Good job, Micah!

With my Joy...


After that fun week, it was back to the dressing room, playing Bananagrams, knitting and/or picking my nose. We had the 23rd Annual Easter Bonnet Competition coming up, however, and five of the six girls in the cast performed. We sang a five-part harmony version of Gilda Radner's "Let's Talk Dirty to the Animals". It was my first official appearance on a Broadway stage!

My partner in crime: Kristen Beth Williams (aka "KBW")
The day after the second Easter Bonnet show, I found myself performing as Cindy Lou in "The Marvelous Wonderettes". KBW was in Florida (she normally covers the role), so, by a total fluke, I had to go on. I hadn't had any official rehearsal, but, thankfully, I had performed the role at the Laguna Playhouse in August, so it was in my brain somewhere. It was really FUN and I'm so glad I got to play the role!



On May 1st, my new niece, Camilla Dane Smith, was born. Congrats, Andy and Dana! I immediately went out and purchased her an obnoxiously pink "I LOVE NY" onesie -- probably much to the chagrin of the new parents. But, hey, I get to be the fun, crazy aunt, right?


Charlie is here, visiting. I am happy. That is all for now.

2 comments:

Amy said...

Oh Leslie, it's so good to hear from you! I loved the updates and all the pictures. I'm not sure what it is, but there's something different about you in those pictures....first of all you look absolutely gorgeous....and secondly there's peacefulness on your face, a steadiness of the eyes....may I be so bold as to say that NY has perhaps changed you? Whatever the reason, you look fabulous! Enjoy Charlie! Love you!

Nattles said...

ooo, I wouldda l0ved to see you in Cindy Lou!! Bet you were hilarious :)