Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Something Better...?

After a lovely Saturday evening out with friends -- first the trendy "Pho Cafe" in Silverlake accompanied by an 8:00 viewing of "Slumdog Millionaire" at the Laemmle in Pasadena -- we found out late Saturday night that Charlie didn't get the job. Side note: I HIGHLY recommend the film; it was excellent and I'd go see it again in a heartbeat.

Charlie went to take a shower, I sat in the kitchen and cried.

And, yet, somehow I knew that it wasn't going to work out how we wanted it to.

I had planned the next few years of our life around Charlie landing this position. Ironically, I desperately need to go to the dentist but have to wait until January, when my re-enrollment in a paid dental insurance program will be able to be processed. I keep thinking my teeth are going to fall out. Is it possible for a fake tooth to rot? Probably not, but these are the things that are going through my head.

After telling myself, "Something better will come along" (that's what we always say when things don't turn out the way we'd like them to. Something BETTER is coming.) What if that is not true? Neither Charlie nor I, in all our years of working, have had a better job opportunity. EXCELLENT health benefits, FREE schooling, a SALARY, and the job security of being FULL-TIME. Charlie wouldn't have to work two or three adjunct jobs. Think of it!! Just ONE job. Wouldn't that be a concept?

So, no. NOTHING better, as I see it, could come along.

So, as it turns out, the girl that has been working the adjunct position for almost three years got the position. It obviously makes sense: seniority, politics, blah, blah, blah. Sure, sure, maybe Charlie will considered for the next full-time position that comes up, but who knows when that will be? Especially since USC is in the middle of a hiring freeze, and our economy is in the middle of a poo-filled toilet. And, as almost a hilarious turn of events, Charlie isn't even guaranteed an adjunct position come this spring. We're waiting to hear from his boss about that.

I'm tired of this sucky parade.

3 comments:

Amy said...

Oh my leslie, I love you. I'm sorry life is crappy right now. But I love when you say "poo" it warms my heart. Hang in there my friend.

Abby... the Oregonian said...

and this... what the hell. these are definately the times when i can honestly say that i don't get you god! i am sorry friend. i too am tired of this sucky parade your in. maybe it's time to move to oregon!

Dana Gray Smith said...

I know where a full time, fully insured position is opening up around April... it pays well and also has vacation time that can be used to do your plays. ha ha. Truthfully though, I hate to say it, but sometimes you just have to sack up and do things that you don't want to do to make life easier for your family. I didn't want to quit hair and go corporate, but I did because we couldn't pay our rent. I could either sit and pray that Andy would figure something out or I could just deal. Unfortunately sometimes you have to sacrifice one passion for another.