Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Photo Shoot


I'm doing this new musical, "Breaking Up is Hard to Do" at Cabrillo Music Theatre. It's a cute show with all Neil Sedaka music. I am playing the role of Marge, an aspiring dentist who gets left at the altar and goes on her honeymoon (to the Catskills) with her best friend, Lois. Lois is being played by the lovely and talented Julie Dixon-Jackson, who originated the role of Betty Jean in "The Marvelous Wonderettes" at the El Portal Theatre. That's right: I was her understudy. It will be SO fun to actually get to be on stage with her this time, as well as not be an understudy anymore.
I'm really looking forward to it, even after having a few meltdowns about the possibility of closing weekend conflicting with BSO Japan tour rehearsals. I still don't know my rehearsal schedule, but I accepted the theatre job, anyway. I am praying that it all works out. It was a difficult decision in that I just don't want anyone angry with me; I don't want to create a situation for myself that threatens my "job security", if you will. But, at the end of the day, I realized that it would be very silly for me to NOT take the Cabrillo Music theatre job just because of the unknown. I would have passed up five weeks' of work, as well as health insurance because of the possibility of missing a rehearsal (or two, yikes!?!)

So, I am happily playing the role of Marge and hoping that I can do BOTH and that it all works out smoothly.

Today we had a photo shoot for publicity and program stills. It was really fun to dress up and start to get into character. We don't start rehearsals until December, but it will be a quick hit once it all begins. The show runs January 9-18, 2009.


3 comments:

Amy said...

Leslie you look fantastic! I love the long brown hair! I'm sure it's nice to do a show and actually look good wearing the costume too! Love you!

Jim Spencer/Shirley Lorraine said...

Congratulations. We'll be there. Give us a call when you are in the area and have a break in your schedule. Maybe we can hook up at Roxie's.

Nattles said...

Looks darling!! and I'm sure it'll all work out w/ BSO. Call me if you need an understudy... if they'll take a half-non-white chick!! haha ;) yay for jobs and insurance and new roles!! So happy for ya!!