Friday, May 23, 2008

The "In Between" Times

I was just remembering an old folky song from Sunday School:
Love Him in the mornin' when you feel the sun arisin'
Love Him in the evenin' 'cause He took you through the day.
And in the in between times when you feel the pressure comin',
Remember that He loves you and He promises to stay.


Let's just say that this is definitely an "in between" time. I can't handle the ups and downs of my life, not to mention this business. This week brought some of the creepiest weather I've experienced in Southern California. It also brought news of a good friend's demise in a hospital in the Valley. I also heard that the owner of my favorite bar died in an accident on Tuesday. I didn't actually know him, but some friends of mine did, and it's just hard to really wrap your mind around death. This guy was only 38 years old. When I hear about that I am immediately jarred into remembering that my pursuit of career advancement, material things (such as the new bedspread and/or outdoor umbrella that I am obsessing over), family drama, what I'm going to eat for dinner, etc. is so ridiculously trivial. What matters is our relationships and the pursuit of the Lord. Some of you agnostic readers out there will scoff at this, but it's true.

I'm tired of running the race for myself, and myself only. I need to start praying for people more. It is wonderful to think about others instead of, "Why didn't I get a callback?!" Or, "I'm so fat!"

Bah. Ridiculous.

So load up your prayer requests, people. This train is bound for glory.

3 comments:

Becky said...

Hi Leslie,
I miss you. Good to hear from you. Come visit us!

Anonymous said...

I had that song on vinyl! Hey, U wanna join my li'l group? We're 4 Christian Musical Theatre peeps, but 2 are booked outta town for the summer. We get together for support, practice, and planning, etc... And food. :) There's no formal schedule cuz we're all actors. I'm gonna text u right now.
It's been really great for all of us so far :)

amber. said...

I remember the weird "sign" language to that song. *grin.

I feel you, girl. I'm always vacillating somewhere between selling all of my possessions to live as an aid worker in Milawi and dying for a new couch.