Sunday, September 16, 2007

Hungover? Nah. Just Ugly.

On Friday I team taught a 2-hour indoor cycling class. I love indoor cycling, spinning, whatever you want to call it. On my way into the class, a girl at the back desk told me I looked "hungover".

My response? "No, sweetie, I'm just tired and ugly."

This is the second time since turning 30 that I've been told I "look hungover". Great. I guess this is what turning 30 is all about.

I've decided to make a T-shirt that says, I'M NOT HUNGOVER, JUST UGLY.
****
I'm training for a half marathon. The race is exactly one month from today. I'm terrified. I've never run more than 3 miles in my adult life, and now I am up to six. I actually love the delirium that accompanies running long distances. My runs usually end up looking something like this:

Mile 1-2 - Dying. Death. I hate this. Why the hell am I doing this? I can't breathe. I'm dragging. I feel fat.
Mile 3 - Okay, halfway there (if running six). Starting to feel a bit better.
Mile 4 - Wow, I'm so awesome. I am kicking butt! Look at me go! I am sweating like a pig, but I sure do look good. Mmmmhmmm.
Mile 5 - Doo, doo, doo, look at the pretty mountains. I'm snapping and singing to the music to which I am running! I can do this forever!

AND THEN...I start talking to people on the road. "Love your hat, ma'am!" "Wow, dude, you've got killer abs". "Better pick up those feet, lady, you'll never make it!"
Mile 6 - I start shouting, "I'm delirious!" "I can't feel my legs!"

...I can't even imagine what mile 9 or 10 or 13.1, for that matter, will end up being like.

Anyway, the race is October 14th. My plan is to wear my new T-shirt, scream and shout, and feel really good about myself. Because I don't know very many other people that are going to be running "hungover".

4 comments:

amber. said...

Lesli, I dream of being like you.

Anonymous said...

That's awesome Leslie! Keep up the good work - Nathan and I are running the Portland Marathon on October 7th, so I hear you about training. You go girl!

Amy said...

Yeah Leslie! I love to run. I wish I could still run. I don't think I can anymore, it makes my knees hurt. I can't wait to hear more!

Yeah for Heidi and Nathan too!

Leslie said...

Amber - the feeling is 100% mutual!

Heidi - You are superwoman...a MARATHON? As in, 26.2 miles?! No thanks. I'll cheer you on from my couch!! :)

Amy - I think you run (around!) enough! And the fact that you love it makes me creeped out. (Just kidding).

Spencerose (Mom): Thanks!