Sunday, May 20, 2007

Sweet...heart?

I've had a really interesting week...been hanging out with the Boss and his wife while he is in town rehearsing for his new album. I have had the giggles about rehearsing in the studio next to Marilyn Manson, who doesn't get to the studio until the sun goes down. He must be afraid of garlic, too.


Anyway, the Boss invited me out to dinner last Tuesday evening, so I suggested this fabulous old restaurant . Never mind that I had just eaten there hours before...his wife and I enjoyed a champagne brunch!

We three were seated next to this older couple and their friend. I think the lady must've been about 75 or so. The waiters brought her an ice cream with a candle in it, so the Boss leaned over and asked her if it was her birthday. Apparently she didn't hear him. I was sitting closest to her, so I asked her again.

"Excuse me, is it your birthday?"

She replied, "We're celebrating it today!"

"Well, we'll have to sing you happy birthday, then!"

I started in, then realized we didn't know her name. When it got to the part ("Happy Birthday, dear _______"), I searched her husband for a clue.

He met my frantic eyes and sung "Ku'uipo" quite loudly. We all followed.

When the candle had been blown out and all, the husband kindly asked me if I knew what "Ku'uipo" meant.

"Well, hmmm...it's Hawaiian..."

His wife mouthed, "Sweet..."

So I said, "Sweet..."

Much to my surprise, she literally patted her chest with both hands. Fingers didn't touch or overlap.

Mindlessly, I blurted out, "Boobies!?!?!?"

She laughed. "NOOO! But thanks for noticing!"

Apparently "Ku'uipo" means "Sweetheart".

"Leslie, party of one..."

Score one for inappropriateness at the dinner table. Score two for saying something embarrassing in front of a stranger.
Score THREE for saying "Boobies" in front of the Boss.

I am well on my way.

3 comments:

Amy said...

Oh, I love it, I love it, I love it. Boobies, boobies, boobies.

Carolyn said...

At least you didn't scream "POOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

Anonymous said...

People should read this.