Saturday, July 2, 2011

Good Things

Last week I auditioned for the Broadway revival, "On a Clear Day (You Can See Forever)". I was brought in for the role of Melinda Wells, a 1940s jazz singer with whom the star of the show falls in love. The star of the show will be none other than Harry Connick, Jr., himself. What an incredible opportunity! Who knows what will happen, but I feel great knowing I did my very best. I prepared for that audition like no other. And, I can rest knowing that if God wants me in that show, it is going to happen. Still, a very exciting moment for my career and personal dreams!

Yesterday, after giving my 5-year old mini-me, Tessa piano lessons, I taught her how to dive into the pool. Her 2-year old sister, Marlow, learned to "run in the water". It was the most hilarious thing ever...she clenched her fists underwater and then kicked her legs -- albeit completely vertically. (She was wearing a little swimming vest to keep her afloat). What joy to watch Marlow discover her new ability, gain confidence, and then just cruise around the deep end of the pool! Amazing. I'm so happy to have such great friends in my life, and to be a part of their kids' lives, too.

Best laugh of my day today was in the car with Andrea, and her two boys, Miles and Theo. They had been up in Oregon with Andrea's family, and, sometime during the week had met a man who was "Seattle's Top Chef". Miles was thrilled to add him to the list of famous people he knew.

"How many famous people do you know?" asked Andrea.

"Well, let's see," he replied. "I know Leslie..."



One more beautiful thing: after returning home from a happy afternoon at the pool yesterday, I heard a kitten screaming somewhere outside my window. At first I thought it was perhaps a neighbor's cat, but it sounded pretty desperate. So I set off to save it. Sure enough, I found it in the garden, sort of wandering around. As soon as she saw me, she ran towards me, as if she knew I was going to help her. I scooped her up and brought her up to my apartment.

"Now what?!" I thought.

I cannot be that 33-year old single woman with a cat. I mean, it's just not going to happen.



So, I figured I'd take the kitten to the Humane Society the next day, but needed a place for her to stay that night. Her sweet face was infested with fleas, but other than that, she was pretty lively and healthy. I decided to call my dad and see if he wouldn't mind if I boarded the kitten at his house for just one night.

Long story short, my sister Carolyn fell in love with the little animal and decided she wanted to keep it. She named the kitten Evey. After a visit to the vet, Evey is in great health and parasite-free. I'm so happy to have helped the little one find a good home!

No comments: