Tuesday, June 23, 2009

It's a Good Day...

When I moved to New York nineteen weeks ago, I was excited and optimistic; hopeful. Over the course of the past four and a half months, I have been on a complete roller coaster ride. When I actually stop to think about all that I have been through -- a tour of Japan, getting sick on top of jetlag, moving to New York and leaving my home, husband and family four days after returning from Japan, enduring the long New York winter, re-learning a difficult four-part harmony show and performing three of the four roles -- it all keeps things in perspective. I have complained a lot. I have also not allowed myself to really process the huge change that has occurred in my life. On the performance part of it: I don't allow myself make mistakes. I am a perfectionist.

It's beside the point to say that it's been "a lot". Yet I'm honestly shocked at how quickly the time has passed. I think I have finally gotten comfortable with everyday life in New York. I've learned how to manage my time, especially my downtime. I've got to find a quiet place because this city is so noisy.

The best lesson I've learned is that I MUST be proactive in achieving my dreams. I fell into a pattern of thinking that my agent was going to get me appointments for the auditions that had come up recently. I got NOTHING. Zero. Zilch. What's worse: when I asked him to get me in, he replied: "I'll see what I can do," and then nothing came of it.

Yesterday I decided to take things into my own hands.

Whereas lately I have been making excuses for not going to open calls ("You can't get cast from an open call!") I decided to just start going to ANYTHING and EVERYTHING I possibly could. I mean, that's how I got here in the first place, why should I sit back now? With about two months to go in my contract, NOW is the time to get on it.

So, after performing in "Broadway Bares" on Sunday night (that's a whole 'nother story!) and getting to bed at 3:00 a.m., I rolled out at 8:00 a.m. to sign up for a couple of auditions.

The first was for "Ragtime" in Portland. I deemed it my "warmup" audition. After singing my song ("Solitaire"), the man behind the table said, "Interesting choice. Thank you so much." I didn't know whether to take that as a compliment or not, so I just smiled really big and said, happily, "THANK YOU!" and bounced out the door.
Ehh, whatever, guy. I just didn't care.

Feeling liberated and confident (and just not really caring), I bounced into the next audition. This was for "Bonnie and Clyde" at the La Jolla Playhouse in San Diego. Basically, the history of La Jolla is that a LOT of hit Broadway shows have started there. My friend Victoria is currently rehearsing "First Wives Club" there now, and it's slated to come to B'way in 2010.

The audition notice for "Bonnie and Clyde" called for a country and/or gospel song, but I decided to sing whatever I felt like. I had nothing to lose. Things couldn't be any worse than they already are, and at least I was getting in front of the casting people.

I bounced in, sang my song and, to my surprise, the casting associate said, "You sound really great."

"Thanks!" I chirped.

"Have you ever been in for the role of Elphaba?" he asked, glancing over my resume.

...

...

!!!!!!!


"NO, but I would LOVE to," I replied, my mouth going a bit dry.

He adjusted his glasses and peered at my resume once again. "I'm really surprised that your agent hasn't DEMANDED that you be seen for that role. I'm going to pass along your info and have them bring you in; we're having a casting session coming up."

"THANK YOU SO MUCH," my flippant tone of voice was now one of genuine gratitude.

I glided out the door and did a little victory dance in the elevator on the way out. Will I get a callback for "Bonnie and Clyde"? Probably not, but WHO CARES??!!

It's a good day when a casting director notices you.
It's a better day when a casting director is impressed with you.
It's the BEST day when a casting director recommends you for the role of Elphaba in "Wicked", every musical theatre girl's DREAM role to play.

I'm really hopeful that it will work out. I know that I can book that job if given the chance to audition.

And, I am re-inspired and realize that I am here for a reason. I know I can get more work. I KNOW IT.

2 comments:

Leslie said...

Sometimes mothers need to let go.

Nattles said...

Leslie!!!!!
Reading this made me SO happy! I was about to write a less than happy blog of my own, but I feel so inspired now that I can't do it. Yay for you!! And that CD was right. You should t0tally be seen for that! I have goosebumps!