
It's been a while since I've posted. I have been terribly busy doing a brand-new musical, "Breaking Up is Hard to Do". We opened last Friday to great, lively audiences and have been receiving great reviews! It's been a long journey and I am so glad I was able to do the show. It almost didn't happen, because I leave for Japan with the Brian Setzer Orchestra one week from today! I was nervous that rehearsals for Japan would conflict with performances for "Breaking Up..." I took the job blindly and prayed (and STRESSED!) for it to all work...and it DID! P.T.L!
Next on my plate is a big decision to make. I've been offered a six-month contract to understudy The Marvelous Wonderettes (YES, AGAINNNNNNNNNNNNN). This time, it's in New York. I want to be in New York, I NEED to be in New York, but something about this whole thing just doesn't sit well with me. I want to be playing LEADS in New York, not understudy roles. I realize there is a difference between New York and Los Angeles, but I feel like this show ("Breaking Up") might have put me in the running to finally be playing leads consistently. I don't know...we'll see...I have a big decision to make, and soon.
In the meantime, I'm off to the theatre for the final weekend of our show (it was quick!) Enjoy the shameless self-promotion I've highlighted for you below:
Backstage West - Les Spindle
January 16, 2009
Equally delicious are the portrayals by Jackson and Smith -- virtuoso belters and masters at comedic timing.
Variety – Julio Martinez
January 13, 2009
As painfully introverted Marge, Spencer Smith offers captivating solo turns on "Lonely Nights" and "Solitaire." She also unites with Leatherwood's slowly evolving Gabe on "The Diary" and the musical highlight of the show, "Laughter in the Rain."
Fortunately, a talented, hard-working six-member ensemble, under the guidance of Troy Magino, instills an infectious vitality into the proceedings, powering through the throwaway plot while projecting the songs directly to the audience.
Los Angeles Times - Philip Brandes
January 13, 2009
Jackson and Smith, both veterans of the recent retro hit "The Marvelous Wonderettes," turn in assured, charismatic performances in roles that shrewdly showcase some of the Sedaka songs originally popularized by singer Connie Francis.
Marge (Spencer Smith) finds her natural anthem in "Lonely Nights".
STAGE SCENE LA - Steven Stanley
January 9, 2009
"Finally, there are the star-making turns of Leslie Spencer Smith and Jeff Leatherwood, as the most vocally gifted pair of nerds you're ever likely to see. Smith graduates from her fine supporting work as Abigail Adams in 1776 to center stage as the klutzy but endearing Marge, and demonstrates Broadway-ready pipes with a powerful rendition of "Solitaire."
LA City Beat
January 15, 2009
Breaking Up Is Hard to Do. This pleasant jukebox musical uses Neil Sedaka hits to punctuate a story about an attempt to salvage a would-be Borscht Belt honeymoon for a jilted bride in the early '60s. The cast includes L.A. theater stars Julie Dixon Jackson, Eileen Barnett and Nathan Holland, plus the formidable Leslie Spencer Smith, Ryan Nearhoff and Jeff Leatherwood. Troy Magino directed, with a book by Erik Jackson and Ben H. Winters. It's innocuous but considerably more interesting than such bookless jukebox shows as Smokey Joe's Cafe. Cabrillo Music Theatre at Kavli Theatre, Thousand Oaks Civic Arts Plaza. (805) 449-2787. Closes Jan. 18.
2 comments:
Congratulations. We told you it was a home run. It just goes to show, as we've said before, the cream still rises to the top. And you're Grade A.
How ABSOLUTELY EXCITING!! What great reviews, you must be thrilled. It does indeed sound like a tough decision. Praying you feel peace with whichever one you make.
Post a Comment