Tuesday, February 19, 2008

It's Raining on My Parade

When it rains SUCK, it pours.

After singing my 18-month contract with my agent, I immediately set out to get some work. I have been determined to become an Equity actor for quite some time now, and, let's face it: it's kind of embarrassing that I'm 30 years old and still not a member of The Actor's Equity. Becoming a member definitely has its benefits: no longer will I have to wait five hours in line to audition, I can earn a hefty sum of money per week doing theatre if cast in a role, I can earn health benefits and pension. It's really the way to go.

I digress.

My first audition was the Monday after I signed the contract. It was for the general Equity chorus auditions at the Pasadena Playhouse. I went in, sang a diddy and immediately got a positive response from the well-known casting director. He was intent upon bringing me back the next day for "The Mask" -- and, yes, they ARE doing a musical about the '80's Cher movie. The entire show had already been cast but they had just lost a girl and needed to replace her immediately. Unfortunately, by the time I had gotten all riled up about the callback (and making my agent proud of me), the opportunity was lost: the director decided to bring in someone she already knew, since rehearsals were starting the very next day.

Still feeling good about the potential, however, I pressed onto the next audition (the very next day): "The Immigrant" at the Colony Theatre in Burbank. The callbacks for that one were today. I had to prepare TEN PAGES of sides (script) plus two songs. I was also informed that I needed to set aside several hours of my day for the actual callback, so I canceled all my piano lessons for the day. I felt confident, especially after having gotten that great review, so I went in and sang the song. Five minutes later, they let me go. I got a phone call a few hours later saying, "Thanks for coming in, we're 'releasing' you; you had a lot of conflicts but that's not why we're letting you go. Do come back now, ya hear?"

That was an ego bruiser. I can understand being asked to leave after a botched dance call, but after I had SUNG? Aughhhrrrrrrggghhhh!

Prior to today's callback, I had spent EIGHT hours at the Screenland Studios auditioning for the Welk Resort's "All Night Strut"...in the end, it came down to me as the only white girl amongst four other altos. Um, guess who they went with? The non-white girl.

Before that, I was politely turned down for a Cruise Line (not that I would have taken that job, anyway, but the money was certainly tempting), and the guy casting the season for the Sacramento Music Circus wouldn't even lift his head when I walked into the room.

Something smells rotten in Theatre Land for me.

BUT - the good news out of all of this is that I FINALLY got my Equity card. To make a long story short: On Valentine's Day -- at around 3:30 p.m. -- I got a panicked phone call from one of the producers of "The Marvelous Wonderettes" begging me to go on that night as Suzy Simpson. The laughable thing about this is that I said "YES" - I had rehearsed ONCE as Suzy, two weeks prior, and that was only Act One. I made things up, stumbled around on stage, but the other girls graciously helped me through it and it ended up being a lot of fun. Here's a pic for your viewing pleasure (I'm the one in blue, by the way):

I know I shouldn't complain because I am very blessed, but, hell - I would just love to get some more WORK! Dangnation!

4 comments:

HopSkipJump said...

Effers! Don't they see that they have the next 'great one' in front of them?

I say you should just reframe the situations, thinking thoughts like "Well, they didn't ask if I would be willing to take the male lead in The Mask." See... flattering.

amber. said...

Girl, I don't know how you do it. I couldn't take the let downs. I would be that girl at the audition who finishes her piece, folds her hands in front of her and then starts crying and begging the director for the part. Something like, "Mr Smith, I REALLY need this part. I promise I'll be good, get good reviews, bring all my friends to the show. They'll love me, you'll love me. PLEASE give me this part because I only have $14.73 left in my checking account and I need to buy diapers." (this is where I would drop to my knees)
"Please, for my son..."

Not pretty at all.

Amy said...

Hey Les! Just wanted to say that I love you and I am proud of all your hard work. Doing something you love doesn't mean that great "worldly" success will follow. But I think that's just it, you are so successful! Look at how many challenges you have faced, how many sacrifices you have made all because you love what you do! Not very many people have that kind of devotion! I love you and I think you are amazing!

Anonymous said...

Wowzah!!
ok, #1 I love, love LOVE your blog.
#2, It's easier to leave an anonymous comment than it is to sign up. So, guess whooo-oooo ;)
#3 I don't think you can reeeally classify me as NON-white... technically.... Ha!
#4 You look great in that Wonderette wig.
#5 I'm pretty sure you're gonna get ridiculously famous pretty soon. Maybe tomorrow at the Minskys audition.
God bless ya :)